Thursday, November 19, 2009

Beans and Rice and Doug

It's a continuation of the goose saga from yesterday and a friend who eats a good amount of food.

I made the oca amb peres yesterday, it was okay, but the goose was a little tough, I talked to my friend Dave and used his advice in serving the goose as an appetizer last night. I bought some whole wheat Carr crackers, and sliced the duck very thinly. I heated up the left over sauce and put both on the cracker. It was great. I could really eat it, there was no goose after taste. Thanks, Dave.

Now, Doug can be a bit of a picky eater, not too bad, but large quantities are a good thing also. I made beans and rice.

I took a one pound bag of black beans and left them to soak over night. I cooked them for 40 minutes in 10 cups of water until they were sort of soft. While this was happening, I took one large chopped onion, 1 container of grape tomatoes,each little tomato cut into quarters, and 2 tsps of chopped garlic and sauteed them in olive oil until they were soft, I added one small can of diced green chiles, and 1 tsp of chili powder, 1 tsp of cumin, 1/2 tsp of smoky paprika, salt and pepper to taste, and let it simmer for 20 minutes.

I then drained all but 1 cup of water from the beans, added the onion mixture, and 5 cups of chicken stock. I brought this to a quick boil and then turned it down as low as I could and still have it simmer. I cooked it for five hours. I served it with white rice and cornbread.


What a wonderful meal, and Rob was thrilled with the Oca Appetizers.

No comments:

Post a Comment