Sunday, November 15, 2009

Longer Than Tomorrow!

I blogged on Tuesday about all I did while I was in Kansas with my parents. Well, not all I did, but I discussed the food I cooked. I got home Sunday, after a trip to Costco for food for the Cross Country banquet on Monday. I headed over to the Catholic church started cooking sometime around 9:30. I was contracted to make lasagna, salad, bread, and dessert for 120.

I started off making the bread, so it would have time to rise. A simple recipe from the Betty Crocker cookbook for dinner rolls. I had trouble getting it to rise and would use a different recipe next time, but the rolls seemed to go all right, there weren't any left.

I took 15 pounds of ground beef and cooked it down, drained it, and added, six chopped onions, 12 red peppers, 6 tablespoons of chopped garlic, 1 cup of sugar, 6 small cans of tomato paste, 3 - 6 lb cans of crushed tomatoes, salt and pepper to taste, and 1/2 c. of italian seasoning. I let it simmer for quite a while. Adjusted the salt and pepper and then started to put the lasagna pans together.

Before I started layering, I mixed four 48 ounce containers of small curd cottage cheese with 8 eggs.

I also used three - three pound packages of sliced swiss cheese, and five 12 ounce bags of parmesan cheese.

Ladle some of the sauce on the bottom of the pan, and then put down four oven-ready lasagna noodles, cover with more sauce, cottage cheese mixture, and then five slices of swiss cheese, placed strategically. Noodles, sauce, cottage cheese, swiss cheese, same thing again. Cover the top with a layer of sauce and then sprinkle with the parmesan cheese. Bake in a 375 degree oven for an hour covered with tin foil. Let set before you cut, so it stays together.

Romaine, chopped up with parmesan cheese and dressing of choice. Cinnamon bars for dessert.

Mom has made cinnamon-coffee bars for years. We had them all the time growing up. It's a really simple recipe.

1/4 c. shortening,
1 c. brown sugar
1 egg.

Cream this together and then add

1/2 cup strong hot coffee.

Sift together

1-1/2 cup of flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon.

Mix with the liquid ingredients and then add 1/2 c. chopped nuts. I like pecans the best.

Put into a 9 x 13 sheet pan, and bake for 18 - 20 minutes at 350 degrees.

While they are still hot, glaze them with 3/4 c. powdered sugar,
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 tbs. of milk mixed together. This was a hit.



So, that's what I had for dinner on Monday. It went over very well. I'd do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment