Sunday, November 15, 2009

Dinner the Rest of the Week

Tuesday, I didn't want any kind of lasagna for dinner, we had one left over pan, which after dinner on Wednesday, made it's way in individual portions to the freezer. But on Tuesday, I wanted something warm and easy. (Did I mention, we don't have a heater? Our furnace went out while I was gone, and we just got the repair man to fix it on Friday. The coil on the gas valve went out and they have to replace it, tomorrow, Monday.) Any way, I made soup. Eight cups of chicken broth, 1/4 pound of dried ravioli, I get the trader joe kind, and then I added 1 package of chopped frozen spinach, and 1/4 c. parmesan cheese along with one tablespoon of chopped garlic. Let it simmer for 30 minutes or so. We had this with some left over challah. It was really good.

Wednesday, as I mentioned before, I didn't have school and we layed around all day, because I was tired from Monday, and had leftover lasagna with challah and a salad.

Thursday I cooked fish. Took some of the ling cod that Rob caught in August and encrusted it in pepper, garlic, and chopped basil. I cooked it in the broiler for about 12 minutes and it was very moist and tasty. I also took an acorn squash, brushed it with olive oil, placed the flesh side down on a cookie sheet and baked it at 400 for about an hour. I had a can of crescent rolls in the fridge, so I sauteed six mushrooms, 1 onion, 1 tsp of chopped garlic, and 2 tomatoes chopped finely in olive oil.

I left the rolls, which are in triangles together and then placed a good two tablespoons of filling along with 1 tbs. of goat cheese on the rectangle and then folded it into a square, crimped the edges with a fork and then baked at 400 for 8 minutes to 12 minutes, until they were golden. These were yummy. So that was dinner for Thursday.

Friday, we went out to Biltoki with Jeff and Nayil. Basque food. I got Halibut. It was really good, but so much, I took home a whole Halibut steak in a doggy bag. Rob got the family style, so he brought home two lamb steaks, basque chicken, and meatballs.

Saturday, Rob went hunting and brought home a goose. He breasted this one out and we'll have oca amb peres on Tuesday, this week. It's an interesting catalan dish. I'll tell you more on Wednesday. But, he invited some friends to go out to dinner, so we went to Misty's, at the Red Lion, it's kind of a posher place, but the food wasn't as good as normal. I ordered Mediterranean pasta, it was supposed to have sauteed artichoke hearts, carrot, onion, and some kalamata olives in it. It was brown gloop over fettucine noodles. It tasted okay, but looked horrible. Rob had halibut and he said his was over cooked.

Tonight, I wanted to use up as many leftovers as possible, I get tired of them. I cut up the meatballs, because we are never sure if they have pork in them, and gave them to Montse, who has cracked the pad on her left foot while she was hunting, and is limping. She deserved a treat.

Then I took the lamb steak, (Rob ate one for lunch today before he went hunting, as well as the rest of the acorn squash from Thursday's dinner) along with the Halibut steak and put them into a 400 degree oven to warm up. I cooked two large yukon gold potatoes in the microwave for 12 minutes, and then peeled them, mashed them with 1/3 c. plain yogurt, and 1/4 c. parmesan cheese. I then sauteed the same mixture that I filled the crescent rolls with on Thursday and poured it over the mashed potatoes. I got some pencil thin asparagus and roasted it with some olive oil and kosher salt in the oven while I warmed the lamb and the fish.

That was dinner tonight. I've got the rest of the week planned out, so we'll see how it goes tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment