Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Can You Empty the Refrigerator?

I did my best last night to use up stuff from the refrigerator and from the big meals we had this weekend. I had leftover chicken from the break-the-fast meal along with leftover crescent roll dough. Some left over mushrooms and veggies were in the fridge and freezer as well.

I sauteed about 3 carrots, cut into rounds, added one medium onion diced,and 1 tsp of chopped garlic in 1 tbs of olive oil. I then added the last of the green beans from the garden. We are supposed to get a hard 21 degree freeze tonight, so I thought I had better pick the last of them. I also added eight ounces of chopped mushrooms, and 1 cup of frozen peas. I added one cup of white rice and about 1 and 1/2 cup of the chicken chopped into chunks. To this I added one cup of gravy, (you know, the powdered mix, that you just add water to?)

If there had been cream of mushroom or chicken soup in the cupboard I would have used that instead.

I put all of this into a casserole pan and then covered it with one of the tubes of leftover cresent roll dough. I baked it for about 15 minutes and we had a nice hot chicken pie.

2 comments:

  1. Isn't empting the fridge make Mom's goulash? I can't even eat anything with the name goulash. Your's sounds pretty good though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't eat anything with the name goulash either, I always think of that tomatoey dish with hambuger and noodles, I just don't know what she put it.

    I've got my camera juiced up so i'll start adding pictures tonight of what I've cooked.

    ReplyDelete