Monday, October 19, 2009

It Was a Set Up!

Friiday was typical for us. We celebrated shabbat and then decided to go out to dinner with Jeff and Nayil to Machi's. I had the spicy shrimp linguini, minus the shrimp, add chicken. You know shell fish is traif. We went for a drink afterwards to celebrate our friend Harry's birthday. It was fun.

Saturday, Rob invited two people he knows to come over so he could set them up. Katie and David. I wasn't sure what to have, because David is a really healthy eater. He cycles 50 or 60 or sometimes 100- miles in a day, so I thought I ought to not do something layered in fat. And Katie is studying to be a nutritionist, so I really didn't want to show that we don't eat healthy.

I decided on fish after a long discussion with Rob. We had mixed grill, salmon, tuna, and cod. We cooked it on the grill, but I should have done it earlier, because by the time we had dinner, it was dark and hard to see the grill. I had gone to the store to figure out what kind of veg to have, and decided on these great golden beets. They were from the organic side of the store, a little more expensive than regular beets, but they were not at all messy. My hands didn't turn pink or yellow for that matter when I was peeling them. I cooked them in some water until they were tender and then added about 2 tbs of shredded mint leaves. The mint really added to the flavor.

I bought some dutch yellow potatoes and cooked them. And created smashed potatoes. I sauteed about 1 tbs of chopped garlic along with 2 stalks of rosemary and then added 1/3 c soy milk and 1/4 c of greek yogurt, to the potatoes. They turned out okay.

I lucked out on the other vegetable. Katie likes green beans, they are her favorite. So I sauteed an onion and a tomatoe and then added the green beans to the pan along with 1/4 c of water and put the lid on it to let the beans steam. It was great.

So that was dinner. Not too bad, everybody seemed to like it, and hopefully David and Katie hit it off with one another.

Sunday, I wanted to use up the leftover potatoes and the green beans, so I made shepherd's pie. I had a pound of ground turkey, because we don't eat a lot of beef. I sauteed one onion, two carrots, and two stalks of celery that had been finely chopped in 2 tbs. of olive oil. I then added ground turkey and cooked it until it was done, I added about eight ounces of chopped mushrooms and the left over green beans. Probably about a cup and 1/2. I added a package of powdered turkey gravy and 1/2 c. water and let it cook for just a few more minutes.

When everything was cooked through and hot, I put it in a casserole dish and then added the mashed potatoes from last night. I dotted it with two tablespoons of butter and put it in a 400 degree oven to cook for 30 minutes. Rob liked it, and I thought it was yummy.

Not sure what we'll have tonite, but something with leftover fish. Maybe fish pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment