Wednesday, October 7, 2009

It's October, Time for Bieroch

I had to have them yesterday, the wonderful warm, fresh baked smell of bieroch. When I was growing up as a kid, my mom made the most wonderful bieroch. If you don't know what a bieroch is, you've had a deprived life.

I've taken my mom's recipe and tweaked it a little, but it's still great. To make the dough, take 5 cups of flour, 1/2 cup of sugar, and 1/2 tsp of salt and mix it together. Add, 1 tsp of yeast to 2 tbs. of water and let the yeast bloom, then add 1 and 1/2 cup of warm milk, 8 tbs of melted butter and two beaten eggs to the yeast mixture, add this to the flour and mix. Knead it and let it rise, just like any other bread dough.

To make the filling, brown 1 to 1.5 lbs of ground meat. I use turkey, but you could easily use ground beef, chicken, etc. Dice one large onion and 1 head of cabbage into fine dice and then add them with 2 tsps of chopped garlic to the meat. Cook it until everything is soft. Take it off the heat and add 1/4 lb of grated cheddar cheese and 2 tbs of dijon mustard. Mix it all together and then make your bieroch.

Divide your dough into 12 balls, roll them out, or in my case mash them out and then put a good heaping large spoonful of filling into the middle. Seal them up and put them into a 425 degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes.

I served them with the left over soup from Monday. It was a great and hearty meal.

2 comments:

  1. I had a hankering for Cinnamon Coffee Bars yesterday and made them. I always want them in October. Isn't strange how we eat certain foods at certain times? We could eat them other times of the year, but they just aren't as good.

    ReplyDelete