Tuesday, October 6, 2009

It's cold here and I don't like it!

I got up this morning and walked the dog. It was cold, I mean really cold, like in the 20's cold. It was that way yesterday too. It's not supposed to be this cold in October. I am really worrying about November, January, March. Yick! So, when I got home from tutoring last night, I decided I wanted to have something warm. I made red lentil soup.

1 onion chopped, 1 carrot chopped, 3 cloves of garlic chopped, and 1/2 tsp of chopped ginger. Saute this in olive oil. Add six cups of water, or broth and 1 can of coconut milk. 1 cup of red lentils and 1/2 cup of uncooked rice. Add 1/2 tsp of celery salt, fresh ground black pepper, 1 tbs of brown sugar and 1 bay leaf and let it simmer for 20 minutes or unitl the lentils are falling apart and the rice is cooked.

Serve it with chopped cilantro, lime, and scallions. I made flat bread, naan, to go with it.

Mix 1 tsp of yeast with 1/2 cup of warm water, add a little pinch of sugar so the yeast has some food. Let it proof for about 10 minutes and then add 1 tbs of olive oil, 3/4 tsp of salt and 1 and 1/3 cup of flour. Mix it together and let it rise for about thirty minutes. Divide it into four pieces and create flat round pieces of bread like pita bread. Heat up a skillet or grill pan, cover it with olive oil and then cook your bread. You want it to be golden with little bits of brown burned on it. This is really yummy with the soup. I could have eaten four bowls all by myself. This is a really healhty dish too. That's always good.

No comments:

Post a Comment